- THOMAS UNIVERSITY SPORTS WALL OF FAME
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The purpose of the St. Thomas University Sports Wall of Fame is to recognize those individuals and teams who have made a significant contribution to the athletic programs at St. Thomas University, and who, as a result of their contributions, have enhanced the image and the reputation of the institution.
- ADOPTION AND REVISION
The President and Vice-President (Finance and Administration) are responsible for the development and approval of these terms of reference.
- COMPOSITION OF COMMITTEE
- The Vice-President of Finance and Administration (ex officio) shall serve as the chair of the committee;
- The Director of Athletics (ex officio);
- A representative appointed by the St. Thomas University Alumni Association;
- Two wall-of-fame members, one female and one male, appointed by the Vice-President of Finance and Administration;
- Two students, one female and one male, appointed by the Director of Athletics;
- One faculty member, appointed by the President.
- A representative of the Chatham era (i.e. prior to 1964), appointed by the President.
Terms of committee members will range from one to three years to ensure rotation of members, with the exception of ex officio members. The Chairperson shall vote in the event of a tie vote. Otherwise, the Chairperson is a non-voting member.
- INDUCTION CATEGORIES
- Athletes – Must have represented St. Thomas University, St. Thomas College or St. Thomas High School, normally for a minimum of three years.
- Builders – Must have made a significant contribution to athletics at St. Thomas University other than as a student-athlete (coaches, managers, athletic staff, administrators)
- Teams – Must be a varsity program that has competed with distinction at the provincial, regional, national and/or international level.
- SELECTION CRITERIA/ELIGIBILITY
- The major factor for selection is the athlete’s contribution to athletics at St. Thomas University, St. Thomas College or St. Thomas High School, normally for a minimum of three years.
- Other factors which will be considered for selection include: character; leadership; and sportsmanship.
- Normally, consideration for selection will be given to an athlete following a minimum of a five year absence from the programme prior to nomination.
- Any individual who has made significant contributions to St. Thomas University athletics normally for a minimum of five years.
- Normally, consideration for selection as a builder will not be given to an individual until five years after their initial involvement/appointment.
- Varsity Championship status at the provincial, national and/or international level.
- Normally consideration for selection will be given to a team following a minimum of 10 years after achieving their championship status.
- SELECTION PROCESS
- Any individual with an interest in STU athletics (e.g. faculty, staff, alumni, athletes, students or members of the general public) may put forth a nomination in any of the three categories, however an individual cannot nominate him or herself, nor a team on which he or she played.
- Any nomination that is not successful will remain active for reconsideration for the next nomination process.
- The call for nominations will be made in the fall.
- All nomination packages must include the following:
- completed nomination form;
- covering letter from the nominator which includes an overall statement of recommendation of the nominee;
- a biographical sketch (press releases, newspaper articles, statistics, etc.) documenting the nominee’s merits in relation to the selection criteria for the award. The selection committee is responsible for validating the information provided.
- Nominations may also be received from a “search committee” organized by the Director of Athletics. Such a “search committee”, if so constituted, would include representation from alumni, current inductees, and the Chatham era (i.e. prior to 1964). The committee’s mandate would be to ensure that any potential deserving candidates are not overlooked; the committee would take into consideration how sports at St. Thomas have evolved over the years,
- Each committee member will rank the nominees by the order in which they think the nominees deserve to be inducted.
- A maximum of five inductees and one team inductee may be selected in any one year. Normally, the nominations with the most favorable rankings by members of the committee will be selected for induction;
- As part of the maximum of five inductees described above, one posthumous inductee may be honoured in any one year.
7.0 SPORTS WALL OF FAME LUNCHEON
- The Sports Wall of Fame Luncheon will normally be held every two years.
- The event will be organized by a committee chaired by the Athletics Department, with the support of Communications and the Advancement Office.
- Sports Wall of Fame Committee members will be invited to attend the luncheon, and may be asked to take part in the award ceremony.
- Inductees will receive a medal and a pin.
- Plaques bearing the name and the picture of the inductees will be displayed on the Wall of Fame in the Grant Harvey Centre.
Last revised October 2018