Framed around three key approaches to narrative this course will provide students with the basis on which to develop their understanding of narrative and their skills in narrative analysis. The three approaches are: the narrative study of lives; the narrative analysis of texts; and, the analysis of narrative dynamics. Through these approaches students will be introduced to the work of key narrative thinkers. The course, in content and delivery, reflects the inter-disciplinary nature of narrative.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the nature and role of narrative in their chosen discipline;
- Demonstrate an understanding of key narrative concepts and their application across disciplines;
- Conduct a narrative interview;
- Apply a range of analytical techniques to interview and textual data;
- Demonstrate an understanding of quality issues in narrative analysis;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical issues involved in narrative analysis.